Friday, November 30, 2007

Slimey Stats - Day 61

Yes, it's been that long since I posted about our dear friend sitting on a jar on my kitchen counter. And yes, he's been sitting there for 61 days now! So, here's what's been going on since day 21 back in October...

About a month ago, I could actually see some eye buds. Pretty amazing.

About 2 weeks ago, Ben was standing on a chair "helping" me do the dishes. He said to me, "Mom, I want to see Slimey." My hands were all wet so I told him to wait and I'd show him in a few minutes. Apparently, that was too long to wait because without me knowing, he picked up the jar and was checking Slimey out all by himself. I went to grab the jar and noticed that it was upside-down. I completely freaked out! Now let me just tell you that I was a little extra emotional at this time, if you know what I mean. Thinking back now, I realize that it's just a caterpillar. I ran down the stairs screaming to show Jon the jar. Neither one of us could see poor little Slimey. I took it back upstairs where Ben has this terrified look on his face because of how I reacted. He said, "I just wanted to play with my pet!" Hugs, kisses, apologies.....and I'm back to trying to find Slimey. I mean everything we had in there was all over the place. I did finally find the chrysalis out of the cocoon in some grass. The cocoon was made in the grass, if you'll remember and that was amazingly still in tact. So I was able to get him back into his cocoon (without touching it, mind you) and there he sits.

I look in on him all the time and he still looks the same. Jon keeps saying he's dead but I don't think so. Wouldn't it be all shriveled up by now? And it's still shiny. Wouldn't he be all dull if he was dead? Here's hoping for a spring butterfly or moth......

No comments: